Chocolate Cake Day is celebrated on January 27 each year. While this day is celebrated mostly in the US, it's a great day to not only learn about some interesting facts about chocolate cake but also to sink one's teeth into this sweet treat. Here are some interesting trivia of chocolate cake.
1. While ancient Egyptians were the first to bake cakes and that chocolate was first invented over 3,000 years ago by the Aztecs, it was in 1765 Dr. James Baker and a chocolate maker teamed up to make the first chocolate cake.
2. Almost one-in-five always has a chocolate cake on their birthday
3. Nearly one-third of people picks chocolate as their favourite flavour.
4. You'll have to survey twenty five people before you find one that "won't eat cake unless it's chocolate."
5. A popular Philadelphia cookbook author, Eliza Leslie, published the earliest chocolate cake recipe in 1847 in The Lady’s Receipt Book. Unlike chocolate cakes we know today, this recipe used chopped chocolate.
6. During the 19th century, pastry chefs, notably in France and Austria, concocted sophisticated chocolate desserts to be enjoyed by the privileged elites.